Just a short update before I jet off on my next (and perhaps last) big adventure. Since posting my last update, I realized that I forgot to mention a few things - not so surprising when you consider how much that last post included. I forgot to mention that during our first bus ride, Miles had us "speed date" - he had everyone rotate seats for a few minutes so we could get to know each other. It was a little bit crazy - and rather awkard, but it was actually kind of fun! It broke the ice a little, although we didn't really start talking to people and getting to know them until later. Last night, however, Sammy and I actually went out to dinner with some people from our trip! The Canadians were on their way home, and their flight was from Sydney, so they were here for a night. And one of the German couples lives in Darlinghurst, which is about 20 minutes from here, walking. They both came over to our area after we got out of class, and we had dinner at the Landsdowne Hotel, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite places. They have $6 meals, and they're really good! It was so fun to catch up with them, even though it's been less than a week since we last saw them. I also forgot to mention the flies in the outback - which is kind of surprising, because they were so incredibly obnoxious. They really were miserable. There are hundreds and hundreds of them, and they land all over you. They love to fly right by your eyes, or, in my case, in my ears. And when you bat them away, they just come right back. Luckily, they didn't bother us too much while hiking, but there were certain times when we were standing around waiting or sitting at the campsite that they were absolutely unbearable. They would also follow us into the bus, so we really weren't safe anywhere. I guess the fact that I forgot to write about them just means that the trip was so amazing that I didn't even think of the negative aspects. Lastly, I forgot to mention that time difference to Alice Springs is a half hour behind Sydney - not an hour, but a half hour... Adelaide too. This really is one crazy country. Also, not all of the states do daylight savings - New South Wales does, so we lost an hour last weekend, but Queensland and the Northern Territory don't - it's quite confusing! And I have a new Aussie term for you - they call coolers eskies!
This week, I've finally been getting down to business. I spent all four days this week (after getting back on Monday) in the BU Sydney Center working on lesson plans and on my paper for class. Though it seemed like it took forever, I did get almost everything done. I still have a LOT of lesson planning to do - but that's going to continue for the rest of my time here, so I should just get used to that. I finished my paper today, and it actually wasn't as painful as I thought it was going to be. I just have one final (with two essays) standing between me and spring break! I'm just about packed, and so ready for one more week of relaxation before I start student teaching full time. It's supposed to be in the high 80s the whole time we are there - I can't wait! We're going to sit by the beach, go scuba diving, check out the jungle, and sail the Whitsunday islands - including snorkeling! See you again in a week, when I'll have lots more adventures to share!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment